Blog Archive

Friday 16 September 2011

Contents of my closet: first shelf: jeans, second shelf: 3 dinner rolls, third shelf: 3 slices of ham, top shelf: chicken pot pie.

Something that I've been listening to lately has been the soundtrack from the game Chrono Cross.  I actually think the game in its entirety is a little underrated, but the music in particular I believe to be quite good.  If you're a fan of the music from Chrono Trigger (come on, I know you've played it) then you'll probably notice the subtle references to the original styles & themes.  Most of the stuff is just delightfully original though, and the quality of the instrument sampling is great, especially considering the limited tools at Yasunori Mitsuda's disposal.  One of the final puzzles of the game hinges on recognizing a series of pitches that appears in a number of the background music tracks.  Clever!

Believe me when I say that I have barely begun to nerd out on things.  I stop myself for your benefit, dear readers.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrono Cross has some of my favorite music from any game ever. I went to Video Games Live this year, and they closed out with a Chrono Trigger/Cross medley, hearing the intro from Cross made me giddy and gave me shivers. Also, see if you can't 'find' Symphonic Fantasies, it's a great album that has Chrono music on it...see also: http://youtu.be/abUlWFUjt-k.

    This comment is entirely too long but totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete